What is the objective for Lesson 7?
During this lesson, your ADI should make sure that you can drive with due care and attention for the road and traffic conditions. This includes taking appropriate actions when you identify hazards.
What is the minimum the lesson should cover?
During this lesson, you should drive in a variety of road conditions including:
- junctions; and
- streets with parked cars.
You should also drive on streets with substantial numbers of pedestrians so that you have significant interaction with them and know how and when to give way to other road users.
Your ADI should also require you to deal with emergency vehicles when necessary.
Expected outcomes: what should I have learned by the end of Lesson 7?
- You should be able to show that you can enter, cross, and join roads safely.
- You should know how to park safely on roads where there are other road users.
- You should be able to pass stationary and slow-moving vehicles, cyclists, and other road users safely and responsibly.
- You should know when and how to give way to other road users including pedestrians.
- You should know how to deal with emergency vehicles.
How should I prepare for Lesson 8?
To achieve the expected outcomes from Lesson 8, you should have:
- completed Lesson 1 to Lesson 7.
Practice is key
To feel confident about meeting the learning objectives, you should also have:
- read the expected outcomes of the next lesson (as agreed with your ADI); and
- done enough practice with your ADI, Sponsor, or both; and
- done any relevant study.
Specifically, you should have practised for at least three hours, driving with due care and attention for the road and traffic conditions. This includes taking appropriate actions when you identify hazards.
You should also have read the sections in the Rules of the Road that deal with:
- sharing the road; and
- driving safely through traffic.
You should have acted on any feedback your ADI gave you at the end of your last KEY DRIVER TRAINING (KDT) lesson.