Skip to content
- To select the
- appropriate gear and
- use the clutch and accelerator in a coordinated manner.
- To change gears smoothly (manual) while maintaining steering control and without looking at the gear lever.
- To use the automatic transmission to slow the vehicle down (automatic).
- With the vehicle in a safe area with the engine off.
- With the vehicle running, on a road.
The driver should
- When stationary with engine off:
- Accurately describe and explain the gear pattern.
- Select appropriate gears when asked, with the clutch and accelerator used in a coordinated way, at least five times (manual).
- With engine started:
- Move off smoothly from a stationary position in the appropriate gear (first gear for manual and drive for automatic).
- Change gears in sequence, from first gear up to the highest gear that is suitable for the situation, without clashing or missing the gear and without jerking the vehicle (manual).
- Change down through all gears without jerking or choosing the wrong gear (manual only), or shift automatic gearbox to lower gear (automatic).
- Select the appropriate gear for the situation or road speed without over-revving or labouring the engine (manual).
- Keep eyes on the road ahead rather than looking at gear lever.
- Perform the tasks at least five times.